On my (potentially) last outing with little G before the baby comes, we went to Trafalgar square to check out the large Christmas tree. He was far more interested in the “floating” street performers dressed as Yoda though. Go figure.
Unfortunately I may not be able to provide as many new blog posts as I would like to in the upcoming weeks. Sunday at church I started having contractions and they didn’t stop until after I went to bed that night. I haven’t felt like I’ve been able to do much at all since. I’m hoping against hope that I won’t have to be on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy (stay in there, little girl!).
With the new year comes resolutions. I know one many of us share comes in the form of budgeting. It’s a dreadful thing to face, but oh so necessary when you become an adult. (Does anyone else sometimes wish they could go back to being a carefree kid again?) While I am no budget expert, I have become quite good at budgeting for our food and finding and making delicious, healthy, budget friendly meals. I’ll be sharing more tips on how to effectively do this in a later post.
This mango chicken dish is a favourite in our house. It’s something that my mom used to make, but I have since changed up a bit. It’s creamy, but not heavy, spicy, and the mango gives it a nice sweetness, that isn’t over powering. It’s great served over rice, but you can even do couscous or quinoa if you prefer. My mom used to make it with mayo and sweet chilli sauce, which is still delicious, but I didn’t love the idea of having that much mayo in a sauce, so I have since changed my version to include coconut milk, which add so much for depth and flavour (not to mention is a healthier take on this dish). Another plus for this meal is that it is so quick and easy to make, which makes it, of course, a great weekday meal.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 chicken breast, cubed
- 1 bell pepper (I prefer red, but any colour will do), diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1/4- 1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce (according to desired spice level)
- salt and pepper
- 1 mango, cubed
- coriander leaves (cilantro) to garnish (optional)
- cooked rice, couscous or quinoa to serve
- heat oil in pan over med-high heat. Toss the chicken in salt and pepper and add to the pan and brown. Add the bell pepper and onion, cook for about 2 minutes and then add the garlic. Cook until vegetables start to soften.
- Add the coconut milk all at once and the sweet chilli sauce a little at a time, tasting and adjusting amount of sweet chilli sauce as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the mango and heat through. Serve over cooked rice and top with coriander leaves.